Choosing a wedding band is a significant decision for any man. It might not get as much attention as choosing an engagement ring, but it still requires some careful consideration. After all, you’re going to wear that ring every day, so you want to pick one that accentuates your style and your commitment to your partner.
This big guide to choosing men’s wedding bands answers some of the most important questions designed to help you find the perfect wedding band for your big day (and beyond).
What materials are available for men’s wedding bands?
Once upon a time, men’s wedding bands were plain gold. And that was only starting in the mid-20th century, when the tradition of men wearing a symbol of their love and commitment first began.
Before that, only the woman wore a band, and it served double duty as an engagement and wedding band.
Thankfully, the materials and styles for men’s wedding rings evolved over the years. Now, you can get just about any style you want for your band. Some of the most popular materials include:
- Gold is a classic choice that has stood the test of time. It comes in a variety of colors (rose, white). You can embed diamonds or other precious gemstones to personalize the look.
- Ceramic is popular because of its durability. They do not easily bend, break, or deform.
- Platinum is more durable than gold, but it can still scratch and take on a matte look more quickly with daily wear.
- Tungsten is durable and strong, making it a popular choice for men who used their hands daily. It also resists fading and scratches.
- Titanium is one of the strongest materials on the planet. Men’s bands made from it are nearly indestructible.
- Stainless steel is affordable and durable. It withstands most scratches, and you don’t have to worry about it tarnishing.
Mixing metals in men’s wedding bands is a popular trend. If you can’t decide between metals, ask your jeweler about options that use more than one to create a unique look.
What factors should I consider when choosing a men’s wedding band?
When choosing a men’s wedding band, consider factors like comfort, durability, and style. If price is a consideration, set your budget and then talk with your jeweler about choosing a band that fits within your range.
Comfort is the most important factor when choosing men’s wedding bands. You’re going to be wearing this ring all the time. You want it to fit so well on your ring finger that you forget it’s there.
Style is the next factor to consider. Once you find a material that feels good on your finger, pick a design that reflects your personality.
Lastly, consider durability. Men who work with their hands might want to choose a stronger material like ceramic or titanium that resists damage.
What are some popular styles of men’s wedding bands?
Popular styles of men’s wedding bands include the classics, plus some creative mixing and matching of gemstones and other materials.
Classic plain wedding bands remain a timeless choice for men who want to signify their commitment but don’t like flashy jewelry.
More men are choosing wedding bands accentuated with diamonds or other precious gemstones. You can mix and match diamonds with other gemstones or select a single option to accentuate the material you’ve chosen. Some men match the gemstones in their bands to what their partners’ rings.
Engraving your band with a special word or verse can add meaning to your special day. Some couples get each other’s names, or their wedding dates etched inside their bands.
Two-tone bands also have stayed a popular choice for creating a unique look for both men’s and women’s wedding bands.
If you don’t find what you’re looking for, talk to your jeweler in Albuquerque to inquire about getting custom design wedding bands created for your special day.
What is the best way to ensure a comfortable fit?
You never want your wedding band to feel uncomfortable on your finger. You’ve invested a lot of time and money into it, so you want to wear it every day without feeling like it’s causing you discomfort.
To make sure your ring is comfortable:
- Choose the right size. Get your finger measured by a professional jeweler in Albuquerque. They can determine the best size that factors in the slight changes in your fingers throughout the day (and in different weather conditions).
- Choose the right materials. Titanium, for instance, might be one of the strongest materials for wedding bands. However, it’s also the heaviest. Make sure you’re comfortable with whatever you select by trying on a comparable band.
- Choose the right width and thickness. The wider and thicker the band, the more uncomfortable it might feel on your finger, especially if you have smaller hands.
- Choose the right shape. Comfort-fit bands have slightly curved interiors that provide a more comfortable fit.
How do you care for your men’s wedding band?
You’re going to have your wedding band for a long time. Wearing it every day can take a toll on it, so you’ll want to make sure you’re doing everything you can to keep it in good condition.
Men’s wedding bands require just as much care and attention as bridal rings for their partners. How you care for your band depends on several factors, including the materials you choose, and any gemstones embedded in it.
As a rule, avoid exposing your ring to any harsh chemicals like bleach and chlorine. If you have a job that requires you to work with these types of corrosive chemicals, remove your rings first or wear protective gear.
Heavy lifting and other contact sports can damage certain materials like gold and platinum. If you’re planning any activity that fits this description, remove your rings first.
Regular cleaning and polishing with a solution approved for your ring’s materials and gemstones helps maintain the appearance of your band. Don’t forget to include annual inspections with your jeweler in Albuquerque, who can spot any issues and repair them promptly.
Where do you find men’s wedding bands?
You can find men’s wedding bands at your jeweler in Albuquerque. Make sure you’ve chosen a jeweler who can help you get the best fit and match your ring to your personality.
Harris Jewelers carries a large selection of bridal rings and men’s bands in our showroom. You also can check out a limited selection on our website to get some ideas before stopping by for a fitting.
Don’t see what you want online or in the showroom? Talk to a master jeweler about designing your wedding band.
Get the men’s wedding band of your dreams
Choosing your wedding band is an important decision. Considering factors like comfort, durability, and style helps you find the perfect fit.
With proper care, your wedding band serves as a lasting symbol of your commitment and love for years to come.