Custom design jewelry puts your personality on display. Why wear the same mass-produced jewelry as everyone else when you can craft a piece that embodies your individuality and style?
Tailored to your specifications, custom design jewelry takes an idea and turns it into wearable art. You can incorporate your favorite metals and precious gemstones or think outside the box with alternative materials that make your custom designed piece truly one-of-a-kind.
What is custom design jewelry?
Custom design jewelry is created specifically for you. Unlike mass-produced fine fashion jewelry pieces, custom design jewelry is designed with you in mind. You can request your favorite metals and gemstones or incorporate engravings that have significance to you.
Some jewelry lovers choose custom pieces for their fine fashion jewelry collection because they want to commemorate a special occasion. Weddings and anniversaries are two occasions when people ask for unique jewelry that symbolizes their love and commitment.
Others may want to recreate an heirloom piece so they can keep the valuable original pieces safe while wearing a version of them. Paying tribute to a family member or other loved one is another reason some jewelry collectors request custom pieces.
How does custom design jewelry work?
Every custom design jeweler has their own process for creating unique pieces for their customers. At Harris Jewelers, our master jewelers take your must-have list and turn it into a stunning piece of custom design jewelry that turns heads.
We use a 3-step process to ensure you end up with a piece of jewelry for your collection that adds value and captures the essence of what you want to share with the world.
- Step 1 is the design phase. Our master jeweler schedules a meeting with you to brainstorm ideas for your custom piece. You provide the references and ideas, and our custom jewelry designers bring it to life. When we’re finished, you’ll have a custom design jewelry bracelet, necklace, ring, or other piece that complements your fine fashion jewelry collection.
- Step 2 is the rendering phase. During this stage, our master jeweler takes the blueprint created during the design phase and turns it into a rendering of your custom piece. Computer-generated images and wax models guide us toward a final finished product. You’ll have the opportunity to review the model and suggest any changes before we begin the final step.
- Step 3 is the casting phase. Once you approve the rendering of your custom design jewelry piece, our master jeweler begins the final step of casting it using the metals, gemstones, and other materials you requested.
How much does it cost to make custom design jewelry?
The cost of custom design jewelry depends on several factors. The type of metal and gemstones used, the complexity of the design, and the amount of time and skill required to create the piece all play a role in its final price.
Custom design jewelry can range from a few hundred dollars to tens of thousands of dollars. Simple pieces with basic gemstones cost less than a complex piece that includes multiple gemstones, intricate details, and rare materials or metals.
More goes into the cost of custom design jewelry besides materials and labor. Tapping into the expertise and creativity of a master jewelry to design and cast a truly unique piece of jewelry is part of the overall price.
Communicating clearly with your master jeweler during the design and rendering phase can help keep costs in check throughout the process.
At Harris Jewelers, we provide all customers with an estimate for their custom design jewelry pieces before any work begins.
What are some tips for creating custom design jewelry?
Creating your own jewelry is exciting. You can keep your project on schedule and within your budget by following some basic advice. We recommend doing the following to get the most out of your custom design jewelry experience.
- Browse jewelry stores to get ideas. If you know you want a custom piece but aren’t quite sure how you want it to look, start by getting some inspiration in our showroom. You can find pieces with qualities you’d like to combine into one custom design.
- Consider colors and materials. Think about your favorite colors and then match them to gemstones and other materials. Decide how often you’ll be wearing the jewelry and whether it should match best with casual or formal wear.
- Determine the shape. Whether you’re creating a ring, bracelet, necklace, or earrings, it’s helpful to decide what shape you want for any settings. Do you like rectangles and zigzags? If so, you can request the master jewelry use them in your design.
The best advice for creating custom design jewelry pieces is to keep the lines of communication open with the master jeweler. The clearer you are about what you want, the easier it is for them to bring that creation to life.
Where can you find custom design jewelry?
Not all Albuquerque jewelers offer custom design jewelry options for customers. You’ll want to ask your local jeweler if this is a service they offer and, if not, whether they have any recommendations for where to get the work done.
Harris Jewelers works with customers to review ideas and craft custom pieces that truly reflect your personal style and preferences. Stop by our showroom to talk with our master jeweler today to explore your options.